It’s Valentine’s Day and I have your last Pott. County Couple of the week: Al and Stacey Sorensen! A couple of you readers out there told me I needed a couple that told it like it is. Well, here they are!
The Sorensens actually met when Al was Stacey’s Ag instructor and FFA advisor at Walnut High School. It wasn’t until 1994 when they ran into each other through a mutual friend that the two started dating. In fact, their first date was actually to a wedding on July 31, 1994. Less than one year later, the couple themselves were married!
How did it all happen? Well, Al actually asked Stacey to marry him on Valentine’s Day 25 years ago today! They were at Stacey’s parents’ house and he gave her a wrapped clothing box. She opened it up and it was a shirt of his she always liked to wear and he had a typical smart-mouth comment about how he never got to wear it anyway and as she pulled it out, the ring box was in the shirt. Needless to say, she said, “yes” and they started talking wedding plans only to realize her plans of a Christmas wedding weren’t about to happen during his ever-sacred wrestling season! (Do note both are loyal wrestling fans even today.) Next option: summer. So on July 1, 1995, Al and Stacey got married at the Peace Church in Walnut and true to small town gossip, everyone assumed they had a fast wedding because she was pregnant! The joke was on them. It was still another 2 years before they had kids. Now 25 years later with 2 grown children, the Sorensens laugh about all of it, which they do about pretty much everything.
I asked what annoying habits they each had and in their usual joking demeanor, they told me I didn’t have 4 pages for all of them! But Stacey told me the nutshell version is that Al is a packrat, he doesn’t pick up after himself, he doesn’t put the throw pillows back on the bed properly, and he snores. Al told me that Stacey has to put everything away as an excessive neat freak and she used to vacuum 6 times a day when the kids were little to which he threatened divorce. You gotta love those idiosyncrasies!
But when I asked the couple for advice they’d give a new couple, they both turned serious. Al said, “Don’t be in a hurry.” And Stacey added that “sometimes you gotta power-through and give 90% when the other person can only give 10%.” She suggested you need to see each other at your worst and best and that living together isn’t a bad way to go. Both also agreed that you have to be on the same page for raising kids.
When we talked about the secret to marriage, their answer was simple: trust and communication. They said you just gotta put it out there and say what you have to say even if there’s some cuss words involved! Stacey said “It won’t always be rosy. There are tough times and disagreements you have to get through.” Ain’t that the truth?
What does the couple see in their future? Hopefully, a 50th anniversary with family and friends fully celebrating and a slew of grandkids. according to Stacey! Al added in that “maybe we can retire someday, too.”
But as we celebrate this Valentine’s Day, let us appreciate that the Sorensens’ senses of humor have gotten them to a silver anniversary on this day of true love and that is certainly not to be discounted.
Thanks for being a ray of entertainment, Al and Stacey! You are a legendary Pott. County Couple!
Happy Valentine’s Day, Everyone!
Keep current with Southwest Iowa happenings here.